Don't give up. Valuable test automation is not a pipe dream. SQE Consulting can show you how to integrate processes and tools into your development cycle to ensure your products are highly reliable, stable, and secure.
Nearly all organizations agree that a comprehensive test strategy is critical to delivery of quality software. Surprisingly, most do not invest properly in test automation and many have been disappointed at the lack of results for the investments that have been made. SQE Consulting believes that test automation is not only possible, it's vital. SQE Consulting can show you that improved software quality can be achieved by appropriately introducing test automation into your existing development and test process. We have seen organizations reduce their cost of testing by 50% to 80% for particular testing activities by successfully implementing test automation. Our approach includes the following tenets:
- Evolutionary Improvement: Successful organizational change is best achieved through an evolutionary improvement process done within the context of the current processes you have in place. Our approach for establishing test automation is no different. We work within your context with your processes, people, and tools. Our recommendations are designed to be actionable and prioritized by what is most important and has the biggest return on investment.
- Assure the Process First: Many organizations have a baseline testing process that fully supports their manual testing activities but will not provide adequate support for a return on investment when automating. Processes and activities we examine as part of our process analysis include:
- Test strategy and planning process
- Integration of testing into the development process
- Test case specification and design process
- Test execution process
- Existing test automation process
- Tests as Software: Successful test automation mandates that automated tests be treated like software. They need to be specified, designed, developed, tested, documented, and maintained in order to be reusable. In addition, standard software practices are needed to manage them: code control, document control, change management, and defect control. As part of our Test Automation methodology, we examine your capability to successfully build and support tests of software and make recommendations for how to address any existing gaps within your process.
- Pragmatic Use of Tools & Infrastructure: Commercial test tools are an expensive proposition. SQE Consulting has developed an automated tool evaluation capability that examines test automation tools based on your current needs, people, process, and existing test infrastructure. Automated tools often considered for use in automation projects include:
- Test case management
- Functional test automation
- Automated regression test management
- Unit/Integration test automation
- Security testing
- Load/performance testing
- Use of Process and Technology Expertise: As discussed in the previous section, we believe strongly that many test automation initiatives do not fail due to the technology used but instead they fail because of the process, people, and organizational structure/culture that exists. Because of this, all of our projects are staffed with a combination of process and technical experts to ensure both process and technology issues are addressed.
When it comes to software quality, the old adage "pay me now or pay me later" has become an understatement. Studies have long shown that there is a direct correlation between the time it takes to identify an issue and the cost of remediation. Unfortunately, while modern applications grow more and more complex, organizations hold fast to traditional test approaches such as isolated test teams, delayed inspection, and manual reviews. These companies carry more risk and pay a higher cost for quality than do competitors who embrace the more agile-based approach to testing.
In a nutshell, SQE Consulting' agile test methodology ensures that the quality assurance of a product runs concurrent with its development cycle. This approach represents a dramatic shift from traditional organizational structure and development approaches, but always leads to a higher quality end product. The difference in the SQE Consulting approach includes:
- Delivery of deployable, testable code in short, regular iterations (typically 2-4 weeks)
- Unification of the development and test teams
- Definition of tests as part of requirements definition work
- Incorporation of testing into the development cycle
- Reliance on tools to automate acceptance, regression, integration, performance, and security testing
- Daily/hourly automated build/test cycles that identify issues prior to "completion" of development tasks
The result of taking the SQE Consulting agile test approach is an application that meets the needs of the stakeholders, expands the validation of user paths, and mitigates the risk of security breaches.
For more information on SQE Consulting professional services, contact us at email@example.com or 904.278.0524 x 212.